1. Ensure that instructors have the Read SIS Data Permission
2. Understanding Student ID formats.
By default, Akindi will strip any non-numeric values from the Student IDs. For example, Student ID "ABC1234" will become "1234".
Please contact your Customer Success Manager if you'd like this default behaviour adjusted.
3. Generate a developer key for Akindi
A. Log into Canvas
B. Click Admin > Site Admin > Developer Keys > Add Developer Key
C. Fill out:
Owner Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Redirect URI (Legacy): https://akindi.com/api/canvas/oauth
Icon URL: https://storage.googleapis.com/akindi-prod-public/favicon.ico
Ensure 'Test Cluster Only' is unchecked
** Please contact your Customer Success Manager if you choose to enforce scopes.
D. Make note of the "App ID" and "App Key" - you’ll need them for the next step
4. Generate Akindi Customer and Secret Keys
A. Log into Akindi
B. Under Administration > LMS Integrations > Add LMS Integration
C. Fill out:
- LMS Name: Canvas
- Environment: Either "Testing" or "Production", as appropriate
- LMS URL: your school's Canvas URL (eg. https://yourschool.instructure.com)
- App ID: the "ID" provided by Canvas in step 3
- App Key: the "Key" provided by Canvas in step 3
- (optional) Custom student ID field: If numeric student IDs are stored as Canvas custom user data, enter the scope and namespace here.
- Click "Add LMS Integration"
D. Make note of the "Consumer Key" and "Consumer Secret", you’ll need them for the next step
5. Add Launch Akindi link to all courses:
A. From Canvas, under Admin > Site Admin > Settings > Apps click "View App Configuration" and then select "+App"
B. Fill out with:
Configuration type: By URL
Consumer Key: Consumer Key generated by Akindi in step 4
Shared Secret: Secret Secret generated by Akindi in step 4
*Config URL: https://akindi.com/api/canvas/config.xml
Icon URL: https://akindi.com/media/favicon.png
C. Click "Save"
- The Launch Akindi link can also be added to sub-accounts or individual courses. To do this, use the "Settings" link in the sub-account or course instead of the top-level Canvas "Settings" link.
- The Launch Akindi link can be disabled by default by using the following configuration url in step 5.B: https://akindi.com/api/canvas/config.xml?disable-navbar-link=true